Founding Members 

A Heritage of

Community Service and Unity



Peggy Atwood

Vonnie Bates

Kay Bingham

Ruth Birrell

Beatrice Carland

Nellie Carr

Beatrice Cleveland

Katherine Guy

Ruth Hacking

Elsie Kolm

Louise Kunberger

Lennie Lemon

Dorothy McClary

Jeanne Morell

Elizabeth Nelson

Helen O’Rourke

Esther Patridge

Vashti Peeckson

Byrd Propps

Marion Rice

Vera Rice

Jane Rioux

Dorothy Stahl

Lorraine Stelizer

Jean Stephens

Carolyn Walker

Ruth Whitman

Janet Yederlinic

 The Collect 

Founded in 1955 when Lake Barcroft was about 165 houses and many new residents were young couples starting families with few wives working outside the home, the setting was favorable for the Lake Barcroft Woman’s Club to be formed as a way to enable women to find companionship and endeavor in projects that enhance the Lake Barcroft community.

The following year, the new club became a member of the National Federation of Women’s Clubs and by 1958 the club’s membership grew to more than 100 women making it one of the largest women’s clubs in Northern Virginia. It was during this time that members selected blue and white as the club’s colors and the sailboat as the club’s motif.

The Lake Barcroft Woman’s Club has a long history of fundraising for charities and local projects. One of its first major undertakings involved supporting the new Fairfax Hospital which was then under construction on Gallows Road. In 1957 members pledged $500 a year for four years to support a memorial room which was due to open in 1960. In 1961 a plaque was installed outside the room to recognize the contribution.

By 1965, the club had grown into a wide-ranging service organization, providing support to several diverse institutions, including the Medical College of Virginia, Manassas Home for the Aged, CARE, local libraries, to name a few. By 2001, some sixty charitable organizations have been beneficiaries of the Woman’s Club fundraising contributions. This tradition continues today as one of the club’s missions.

The club’s tradition of bringing Lake Barcroft families together by organizing the Lake Barcroft Independence Day Parade, the community’s Easter Egg Hunt and the Halloween Parade began in the mid-1960s. During this same period, the club created the “Sick Room Loan Closet,” which continues today as the “Home Health Aids Closet,” to make equipment available to Lake Barcroft residents recovering from illnesses. Home Health Aids items have been purchased using club funds when feasible and donated by Lake Barcroft residents.

In 1976, club president Chica Brunsvold initiated the project to construct the footbridge across Holmes Run to shorten the distance for children walking to nearby schools and for residents visiting one another. Former resident Margaret Finley headed the project and the late Stuart Finley was instrumental in getting the project approved by Fairfax County. The footbridge officially opened on December 17, 1977.

In 1995, club president Dorothy Werner was the brainchild for the Woman’s Club Community Garden on Watershed Improvement District (WID)-owned land near the footbridge. The development of the garden was a collaboration among the Woman’s Club, WID and Lake Barcroft Association (LBA). The club funded a portion of the landscaping and plants for the first three years; the WID provided the land and valuable logistical support; and LBA assumed responsibility for the actual design, installation, planting and maintenance of the garden. The garden was largely the work of the late architect and resident Ernie Rauth. He is remembered today by the road sign bearing his name “Rauth Lane” which leads to the footbridge and garden. The garden officially opened on May 1, 2000.


Lake Barcroft History, by Tony Bracken, 2001

⁠2022-23 Alice Edmondson

2021-22 Charlotte Flounders and Kathy Utgoff

2020-21 Merri Brown and Charlotte Flounders

2019-20 Merri Brown and Donna Sanger

2018-19 Marcia Grabowski and Merri Brown

2017-18 Nomi Taslitt and Marcia Grabowski

2016-17 Wanda Martinson and Nomi Taslitt

2015-16 Wanda Martinson and Susan Crawford

2014-15 Sharlene Aukofer and Diane Kilbourne

2013-14 Anne O’Neil

2010-13 Jennifer Talati

2009-10 Victoria Fernandez and Ilona Szemzo

2008-09 Karen Farrington

2006-08 Eva Kosztarab and Victoria Fernandez

2004-06 Burma Klein and Cindy Waters

2003-04 Sandy Augliere and Carol Hawley

2002-03 Shirley Timashev

2001-02 Jane Legault and Shirley Timashev

⁠1999-00 Weezie Chappell

1997-99 Jean Meyer

1996-97 Julia Treagy

1995-96 Dorothy Werner

1994-95 Elena Borges

1993-94 Weezie Chappell

1992-93 Mary Hughes

1991-92 Kay Ward-Johnson

1990-91 Edith Bairdain

1989-90 Kas Johnston

1988-89 Anne Walker

1987-88 Tina Trapnell

1986-87 Louise Juergens

1985-86 Nancy Stauch and Louise Juergens

1984-85 Marcelle Cahill

1983-84 Rose Swift

1982-83 Lolita Acuna

1981-82 Sandy Augliere

1980-81 Jean Meyer

1979-80 Lois Kaye
1978-79 Kay Gerber

1977-78 Naomi Zeavin

1976-77 Jeanne Fellows

1975-76 Chica Brunsvold

1974-75 Mike Miller

1973-74 Helen Richmond

1972-73 Peggy Johnson

1971-72 Virginia Arnold

1970-71 Therese St.Hilaire

1969-70 Josephine Cox

1968-69 Dorothy Berger

1967-68 Louise Heid and Dorothy Berger

⁠1966-67 Adelaide McGurr 

1965-66 Dolore Freiburger

1964-65 Churchill Ruegg

1963-64 Esther Jerome

1962-63 Mildred Fazar

1961-62 Beatrice Carland

1960-61 Helen O’Rourke

1959-60 Esther Patridge

1958-59 Mildred Fazar

1957-58 Jean Stephens

1956-57 Sylvia Cazan

1955-56 Elsie Kolm